Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Visit to WA - Day 1 (by Thomas)

Late April, 2008

And so we settled back into the routine of text, chat, and phone conversations. After seeing each other in person for nearly four wonderful days, being relegated back to electronic media left a sour taste in our mouths....as did the realization that it would be over three months before we saw each other again at the reunion in July. Neither of us was too happy about that.

But then I hit upon a realization, something Mr. Craig had said when I was asking his permission on April 19. He had expressed his understanding that my parents would want to meet Rebecca as soon as possible, and that a trip of that purpose would be something we could likely work out later. I started scheming.

Some hours of discussion later, it was all settled. Rebecca and her dad would fly out on Friday, May 16 and return on Monday, May 19. Rebecca and I were obviously QUITE excited that we were going to see each other so much sooner than July. =)

The next couple weeks seemed very long....probably because were were counting down the days as they passed! But finally the big night arrived. I wasn't too nervous until we got to the airport, and then I was basically a jittery wreck. I suspect my mom was secretly laughing at me. After what seemed like an eternity of waiting, she and her dad finally rounded that last corner and there she was! After a giant hug and introductions all around, we happily walked off, parents in tow, to find a rental car.

That night was brief, but enjoyable. Mom and I went with the Craigs to their hotel (Red Lion at the Quay....quite a nice place) and just sat and talked for a while. Mom and Mr. Craig did most of the talking; Rebecca and I were quite content to just sit on the couch and enjoy each other's company.

We kicked off the visit bright and early the next morning. Mom and I met up with the Craigs and went to IHOP for breakfast before bringing them home to meet the rest of the family. We picked up my dad and headed off to the Oregon coast (Cannon Beach area). That car ride, though long, was very enjoyable. It was a beautiful day, and Rebecca almost fell asleep with her head on my shoulder.....an altogether peaceful trip.

Us NWerners proudly showed off the spectacular views from Ecola State Park, where it felt almost like showbiz for Rebecca and I....both my mom and Mr. Craig were constantly telling us, "Stand together over there", "Smile", "Take your sunglasses off." =) It was a gorgeous day for a trip to the coast, with clear skies and temperatures in the high 70s.







After Ecola, we drove down to Cannon Beach, parked the car, and played tourist for a while. We found a great place for lunch and just enjoyed visiting all the little shops downtown. Rebecca and I went for a brief foray into the water, but the parents were not interested. The water was something like 50 degrees, but it felt WAY colder! Rebecca always wants to make sure that everyone knows that she outlasted me....I wimped out and headed back to the warm sand sooner than she did. ;-)




At that point, it was about time to head home. We returned to my house, where Rebecca and her dad met Lauren (my sister, not hers) and her boyfriend, John. We chowed down on salad and homemade pizza and then rounded up the group to go see Prince Caspian. Stephen came along with us, so the Craigs got to meet him as well. After Prince Caspian, it was a full day and the Craigs went back to their hotel.


to be continued....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recall that I came up with the idea of Rebecca and her parents visiting here (while you were here) as I was driving down the interstate. When I told you about it, you told me that Mr. Craig had mentioned visiting. But I thought that he and Mrs. Craig were talking about it while they were on vacation. I didn't realize Mr. Craig had mentioned it to you so early.

Thomas & Rebecca said...

Yup, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it during our intial conversation on April 19th. The fact that my family would want to meet Rebecca was something he was aware of from the very beginning. =)